Interesting What Is The Plural Of Octopus? Video | A Lexicographer Explains All

Interesting What Is The Plural Of Octopus? Video | A Lexicographer Explains All

The humble octopus has been in the news of late, as dozens of the things came ashore, freaking out a good portion of the internet.

In the news reports, some reporters called the octopuses “octopuses” while others called them “octopi”. So what is the plural of octopus?!

In this video, Kory Stamper, an associate editor at Merriam-Webster, explains the origin of the word, and reveals what word you should use to describe more than one octopus.

It turns out the correct plural is “octopodes,” because octopus is a Greek word, and that’s how the Greeks do plurals. However, octopuses and octopi are also perfectly valid, so use whatever you want.

1. list of auto insurances in Allentown PA

May 17, 2018 at 6:04 pm

Ahhh yes. Random Birther posting. Here are a couple good jokes I heard:Q: How do you hide something from a Birther?A: Put it in a textbook.Q: How do you drive a Birther mad?A: Put him in the oval office and tell him the President’s Kenyan Birth Certificate is hidden in the corner.

2. Oct03admin Thank you so much for your comments. I see you too had life changing experiences. I would love to hear more about Tehran. I had one strange experience there. Warm Pan Am Regards, Kim

3. list of auto insurances in Pocatello ID

May 17, 2018 at 10:26 pm

I just can’t fathom why DC wouldn’t want the input of a creator of such a canonical text who so clearly has a vision for the work, knows how to print his work optimally, and is a willing collaborator. It’s kind of absurd. I mean, who on earth at DC would NOT want to work with Mazzucchelli on this? And if not, why do you even do what you do?

4. cheapest car insurance in VA

May 17, 2018 at 11:18 pm

Having similar troubles with my Girlie Girlie at the moment. At least you get the reprieve with the TV. For me there are times when nothing works and all I want to do is run away screaming myself but only in the opposite direction. LOL!Good luck to you…and if you figure any of this out – please pass along the secret okay?

5. j’ai lu quelque part que Apple aurait vendu près de 120 000 iPad rien que la première journée où les pré-commandes ont été ouvertes!

6. Quelcrist Falconer By acknowledging the other side’s good intentions, for starters.That assumes that the other side has good intentions.Other than destroying the welfare state and stealing everything that isn’t nailed down what are the other intentions of the right?Creating a police state so that they can keep what they stole?

7. GREAT BIHECO…We shall surely restroe our past glory..”BIHECO SHAKES WEST AFRICA”.We deserve it… this is just the begining.I PROUD TO BE A BIHECAN …………Shadout to all 2011 BHOBUs…4c boyz…SICUT MILES CHRISTI.

8. Olá! Prazer!Acabei parando aqui….porque li que você foi uma das pessoas que começou com blog. Tenho um de orações, vi que agora o seu é um site. Talvez um dia faça também faça o mesmo. Estou precisando de uma ajuda significativa!!!!!!!! Tenho tido problemas com pop up de um site de relacionamento que está seguindo o meu , enfim, já fiz tanta reclamação, mas até agora nada de ajuda. Pode me ajudar? grata.

9. I’m not LDS but I do know quite a few LDS members and there’s a cannery within driving distance of us. What do you mean by “If you have a big load to get through”. Are we actually doing the canning? Does this mean we need to bring the food to can or ?I’m not entirely sure that my LDS friends know about the cannery and I know at least one wishes her food storage was better, so I’m thinking this might be something we could do together but I want to know what I’m really getting into in terms of labor and cost.

10. cheap auto insurance Lansdale PA

May 18, 2018 at 7:24 am

Ed,We have all those laws in Indiana, too. If you shoot a non-resisting, compliant person in Texas, (even if he has broken a window,) you'd better by god hope that there aren't any witnesses, 'cause Texas sure does love its needles.(Besides, I just couldn't stand your restrictive gun laws down there, with all the expensive fees and renewals and mandatory training classes and 51% nonsense and no open carry and can't have even one beer if I'm carrying… It'd be like moving halfway to New York. ;) :p )

11. car insurance Cliffside Park NJ

May 18, 2018 at 9:26 am

Love the info you share about sales and what our clients are thinking/feeling in the moment. As a licensed clinical social worker (with a minor in psychology), the information just makes so much sense! Thank you for putting things in perspective and pushing my (hobby) business forward.Caryn Redman recently posted..[]

12. us agency car insurance Ozark MO

May 18, 2018 at 10:54 am

Salve, non sapevo bene in quale sezione scrivere, vediamo se potete aiutarmi.Sono una cameriera, in questo momento in fase preavviso dimissioni, già firmate (termino il lavoro il 31/12).Sono in una piccola azienda e probabilmente a Natale terremo chiuso..Quel giorno io avrei due ore per contratto,quindi mi chiedo:se l'azienda decide di tenere chiuso perchè non ci sono prenotazioni, è legittimo che mi tolgano 2 ore di permesso perchè non ho lavorato? (è già accaduto in passato)?

13. free car insurance quotes Tacoma WA

May 18, 2018 at 11:17 am

Que Deus os abençoe mesmo, com o Pitchuco eles são uma família cheia de amor, brilho e alegria. Que o exemplo deles seja seguido cada dia mais!!!

14. marcelo skrev:hugo dra till mesogios i medis nästa match (ligger mitt emot där var de galet bra drag skit mycke chilenos sen efter matchen drog vi alla till plattan haha ;p

15. us agency car insurance Waterford MI

May 18, 2018 at 7:01 pm

Soon after I initially commented I clicked the -Notify me when new feedback are added- checkbox and now each time a remark is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any method you will be able to take away me from that service? Thanks!

16. list of car insurances in Marion OH

May 18, 2018 at 7:47 pm

пишет:Понимаю, что времени очень не хватает, однако если Вы окончательно решились на работу, то нужно находить время и на доры и сателлитов клепать пачками, а также и адалт подключать на полную программу. От армии действительно нужно косить, чтобы деньги эти заработать) Но, если будете из зарабатывать, то с армией Вы точно разберетесь) Удачи Вам!VA:F [1.9.21_1169]Рейтинг: 0 (оценок: 0)

17. list of auto insurances in Elkhart IN

May 18, 2018 at 8:19 pm

i have always admire the spider web quilts! Wowo!! i love it! what an accomplishment you have here~ i was wondering which backing you have? i have seen it around, but wasn't able to find out what's the company and brand.

18. free car insurance quotes Claremont CA

May 18, 2018 at 8:32 pm

Hea Daki! Kui Sa tahad Põrnika tulekule natuke kaasa aidata, võid näiteks massaaži minna (või koju tellida). Mul oli sellest kõvasti abi ja samas olukorras valiks ilmselt sama lahenduse.

19. Thanks for posting, Marie. According to the author's website, he is working on his next historical novel. Set in the first century AD, this novel is about the conflict between the Roman Empire and Judea. Should be another great read!

20. cheapest auto insurance Albany GA

May 19, 2018 at 12:57 am

oleva tyyny on ommeltu Cole & Sonin Cow Parsley -kankaasta, jonka ostin aikoinaan samaan aikaan Woods-kankaan kanssa. Jättityyny sai uuden päällisen Marimekon Ensilumi-kankaasta. Lisäksi ompelin

21. car insurance rates LA

May 19, 2018 at 1:20 am

hello, my nAME IS ANGIE AND I AM A SINGLE PARENT WITH NO CHILD SUPPORT, AND WOULD LIKE TO DO SOMETHING LAGIDAMITE TO MAKE EXTRA CAH. I AM SO TIERD OF LIVING CHEAK TO CHEAK. MY DAUGHTER DESERVES MORE. PLEASE HELP ME GET STSRTED. THANKS ANGIE

22. There are plenty of configuration changes that can be made for all aspects of the server, however those will come later. This was primarily aimed at those new to VPS and Nginx, and more to just get them online.As with WP Multisite, check back regularly for more in depth optimizations. :)

23. car insurance quotes Tallahassee FL

May 19, 2018 at 1:33 am

La emoción es un sentimiento, que nos define como humanos, pero la virtud de saber transmitir esa emoción a los demás, esta reservada a los artistas.Precioso discurso.Tano

24. I read the title of this article and thought to myself ‘ I hope Holly mentions that you should be polite to admins / receptionists and janitors’ – Well done!! Nice article – have a good weekend Savvy Scot recently posted..

25. free car insurance quotes Dublin GA

May 19, 2018 at 6:08 am

It is difficult to get a solitary word that we have listed exactly website property. Perfect, perfect, perfect? But I do know that an individual’s activity using the web causes only a very important thing! Great career!

26. cheapest auto insurance in WV

May 19, 2018 at 7:17 am

Bonjour,J’ai trouvé 2 autres sortes de Bertolli au Carrefour Montigny-le-Tilleul(les pots sont « cachés » tout en bas et tout au fond !)- La Tradizionale ( Tomate, Oignon et cartottes)- La sauce avec basilic.Encore quelques pots avec colorettes.Toujours la même BP 4944

27. I simply couldn’t go away your website before suggesting that I actually enjoyed the standard information a person supply to your guests? Is going to be back ceaselessly in order to check out new posts

28. What bothers me is that there are people in parts of he world protesting and even fighting for the most basic of rights while privileged Vancouverites rioted for nothing of any meaning. Vancouver is my home and I certainly would not describe what happened as typical Vancouver.My recent post

29. johnn disse:eu queri fala que a imagem dos filmes de vc são melhores mais demora muito para ver o filme nem com 10 mega da para ver

30. auto insurance quotes Fair Oaks CA

May 19, 2018 at 11:14 am

Sounds like a dream come true!! Good pics, would love to meet her – look slike she can make an old man very happy! David (just turned 59!)

31. pour moi une question se pose est-ce que toutes les huiles de palme sont hydrogénées ? évidemment je n’ achète pas si c’ est spécifié . mais est ce toujours spécifié quand cela est le cas ? merci

32. auto owners insurance Pensacola FL

May 19, 2018 at 1:59 pm

Hahaha holding hands in the dark, that's "dangerous".. xD What a wonderful way to surprise someone on their birthday, you bonded with each other more with this type of activity and then celebrate it together. This night looked like a great night for all of you and feel sorry you didn't bring your new DSLR.. I'm sure you would've taken many beautiful photos with that brand new "baby" of yours!

33. car insurance quotes Pflugerville TX

May 19, 2018 at 4:46 pm

I like this site very much, Its a really nice billet to read and get info . “A little in one’s own pocket is better than much in another man’s purse.” by Miguel de Cervantes.

34. cheap auto insurance Seymour TN

May 20, 2018 at 1:11 am

Simply wish to say your article is as surprising. The clarity in your post is just nice and i can assume you are an expert on this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the gratifying work.

35. What happened to shuffle play and pagination in channels. I have a playlist with around 9 pages, that's a lot of scrolling and waiting for the information to load with the new design, also not being able to play in shuffle mode is quite annoying!! Please let me revert back to the old design, or bring in pagination and shuffle play.

36. auto owners insurance Castle Rock CO

May 20, 2018 at 5:58 am

I have many blog on blogger. I hear that meta tag is important for SEO. But i can not use meta tag on a blog of blogger. Now my question is how can I use meta tag on a blog?

37. cheap car insurance quotes Kalispell MT

May 20, 2018 at 6:10 am

The 1st 3 weeks that I worked here – whenever I had to answer the phone I would literally break out into a sweat, even my palms would sweat! now I’m not in the least bit bothered, cold-calling? – no problem!

38. It is perfect time to make some plans for the long run and it’s time to be happy. I’ve learn this put up and if I may just I want to recommend you few attention-grabbing things or tips. Maybe you can write subsequent articles relating to this article. I want to learn even more issues about it!

39. car insurance quotes Colton CA

May 20, 2018 at 6:29 am

Nruno13 de janeiro de 2009Ou ajuda ae…eu tentei fazer isso passo a passo e naum consegui aki em casa os lugares pra ir sao diferente o que eu fasso ajuda ae!!

40. low income auto insurance Salem OR

May 20, 2018 at 8:04 am

Ja jag har bloggat om dem för länge sedan, visst är det unbderbart. Paris låter onekligen fint, ska genast spana in dina bilder därifrån. Kram

41. cheap non owners insurance Burke VA

May 20, 2018 at 10:26 am

I was going to say thanks for listening…but you posted a link to one of the worst things that has ever happened on screen anywhere ever. But still, thanks for listening and giving a great interview!

42. best auto insurance in Oak Park MI

May 20, 2018 at 3:49 pm

Я вот то же месяца два назад воткнул этот модуль в свою самопальную отладочную плату. И так его не как не использовал. У меня вопрос возник по поводу светодиодной индикации, какой диод что сигнализирует? И будут ли статьи по применении этого модуля?

43. heehee thank you! And I join you in your hope for younger people.As for my age, I want to get to be really, really old. I just don’t want to FEEL old. So far, so good.Thanks for your comment!

44. auto insurance rates Lakewood OH

May 20, 2018 at 6:24 pm

I, like Claire and Nikki, think it is crazy that same sex cou­ples can’t get legally mar­ried yet. As some one who has been pro­duc­ing wed­ding albums and been involved in the plan­ning of cer­e­monies and wed­dings of gay and straight cou­ples, I can’t believe that we are still dic­tated to by peo­ple with stuff old fash­ioned values.

45. cheap non owners insurance Pekin IL

May 20, 2018 at 8:42 pm

21cExcellent distribute. My partner together with i come to be taught one point harder concerning various sites daily period. It’s about to regularly come to be rousing to discover content coming through additional reproduce writers together with follow relatively anything employing their web page. I’d favor to make use of several challenging content material about our blog whether someone don’t mind. Natually I’ll provide you with any link in your internet internet website. Thanks relating to be able to revealing.25a

46. low income auto insurance Lilburn GA

May 21, 2018 at 3:47 pm

Thank you for cutting it as clear as can be!I DO enjoy the engineering perks (even if the rocket boost sometimes takes a bite out of my health).Since ten seconds of the Synapse Springs is in use, and the CD becomes 50 seconds, does that give it an advantage?